new challenger

I make games. I also play them. I talk about both activities here.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Jonathan Blow, Braid

I'm not yet ready to pronounce this blog dead, despite the obvious death knells. I got into a pretty bad run of simply hating on everything here, and that's not a pattern to which I want to succumb. So, while I finish up another game, I'll try to figure out how to regroup this fall with something more productive.

In the meantime, anyone still coming to this blog should check out Stephen Totilo's interview with Jonathan Blow, "indie game designer" currently working on Braid. I've been a fan of Stephen's for a while now, and while I had a passing interest in Braid prior to reading this article, what I feel about it and its creator now can only be described as "awe." I don't know if his game is going to suck, or be the second coming. I don't know if he's a nutcase or a genius. But I do know that Blow is trying really, really hard to make something noteworthy, that says something different than what has been said before, and there aren't nearly enough people in our industry doing that.

Thanks for reading.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Adam Puhl said…

    I read this article last night just before going to bed. Bad idea. Couldn't turn my brain off for a while.

    It sparked some ideas on game design I hadn't thought of and hope to implement some day.

    I also enjoyed his comments on the creators' vision and if aspects conflict with that vision they are removed.

    I think game development started out this way, resulting in good standards for gameplay. But now developers rely too heavily on these proven methods.

    I hope some of his theories are proven correct when his game comes out. Great read.

    -adam

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very interesting read...it's too bad that what he says is true about having to kind of turn yourself off to what you really think just so you can conform to society and not have to live in the woods eating sticks (damn that sounded all Emo). I hope someday to be able to create a game just because and not have to worry about the bottom line. When are we forming our own studio again??

    John Edwards

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous sixtwo3 said…

    sixtwo 1?

    -dickie

    i will check back later

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger omar kendall said…

    I am #1 in a series, but I don't know any dickies!

     
  • At 12:05 AM, Blogger Maj said…

    Finally got around to reading the interview and i'm impressed.

    Though, articles like this always make game design seem so ominous. Movies have definitely had an impact on the course of human history, or at least human emotional perception. We learn about how human beings are supposed to behave and communicate from our parents first, then our peers. I think movies have at least as much of an impact as school teachers and friends. Everything from what's cool, to what works, to what never works, and more. Not that surprising because books have played a huge part in human history, and film is just an extension of literature.

    Now games. Obviously games are next. Makes sense. In many ways deeper. I wonder how many people make everyday decisions based on how the options available to them would play out in The Sims. In some ways that fucking sucks in the most Orwellian sense imanginable, but in other ways that's rather funny.

    You know what though? It will always be kinda scary when you are sitting in the passenger seat and MrWizard (who is driving the car) is telling you about how he thinks he's a better driver cuz he's so good at Rush 2049. There's no ABORT button in real life!

    - Maj
    sonichurricane.com

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Richard said…

    Baby blue bronco... time to ride?

    dunno, just found you on teh intarweb, thought i would confirm it be you and send a message. drop me line at
    yelloboi623 at gmail dot com

    -Have a wonderful Air Force day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home