new challenger

I make games. I also play them. I talk about both activities here.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Dreams in which I'm Dying are the Best I've Ever Had

My local magazine stand doesn't carry Edge. Thus, I have to make a special trip to Barnes & Noble to buy it every month (as not to be completely discriminatory, I also purchase games there). I ordered a subscription once, but I never got a single copy in the mail. This hasn't tarnished my opinion of this magazine, however, which in my estimation is pound-for-pound the best gaming magazine on the planet. I was introduced to Edge quite a few years ago by this really talented but really annoying artist I knew. The selling point of the magazine back then was that they had the most stringent reviews of any magazine around - print of otherwise. This was back when I gave a damn about game reviews. And to be sure, a game that got anything above a 6 (on a 10-point scale) in Edge was probably a pretty good game. Sometimes they didn't get it quite right - like the rest of the UK gaming press, Edge seems to have an unnatural affection for Tekken, perennially giving it higher acclaim than Virtua Fighter - but generally speaking, the magazine was beyond reproach with regard to reliable critique. The magazine also uses really high quality paper and employs some refreshingly eloquent and intelligent editors that seek to elevate games journalism beyond game previews, rumors sections, and exclusive first looks.

This post isn't meant to be exactly about Edge, though. Really, until I saw this July cover, I had no intention to make this post at all. I guess this post is about Mad World, the upcoming game from Platinum Games:



Mad World is made by a bunch of guys who make games that you don't play. Well, I guess that's not totally true. Lots of people play Resident Evil; I guess I'm just talking about all those other games that Clover Studio made that people like to like, but don't like to buy. I have a feeling that Mad World will fall into the same category as the rest of Clover's games in this regard. In fact, I'm willing to wager that Mad World will generate a little more buzz than God Hand, but a little less buzz than No More Heroes (yes, I know Clover didn't make NMH - please shut up). Neither of these titles, incidentally, were blockbusters.

But man, that Edge cover sure does look cool.

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad you turned me on to this game...I'm definitely gonna give it a go. Clover reminds me of Treasure in alot of ways.

    -John

     

Post a Comment

<< Home