new challenger

I make games. I also play them. I talk about both activities here.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Two Things I Liked from E3

Hopefully this is my last movie link post for a while, but I wanted to share my two favorite trailers from E3. Note that these are not necessarily my favorite games from E3; simply, these are the trailers that make me wish they were trailers for a game I was making. Ready? Let's go!

I am convinced that the next game that makes me doubt my qualifications as a designer will come from Ubisoft (for those keeping score, the last game to do this was ICO). This is not to say that I've been brought low by any particular Ubisoft game until this point, although I am a fairly large Prince of Persia fan. I just get the sense that Ubi is allowing their studios to earnestly experiment with the established conventions of videogames. Their new trailer does not disappoint:



(it's the song that gets me most). Viewers will note that the PoP team is probably just as enamored by ICO as I am; they certainly seem to be continually inspired by it.

This second E3 trailer has convinced me that Microsoft has the best PR/marketing division on the planet. I did not particularly care for Gears of War. I knew I wouldn't care for Gears of War pretty much the first time I saw it. I play shooters - all of them, really, as part of the designer tax - but they're not really one of my preferred genres. Nevertheless, two trailers last year convinced me that I would somehow enjoy shooters more than I ever had before: the Halo 3 Starry Night trailer, and of course, the Gears of War Mad World trailer, probably the best video game trailer ever made.

Neither of these games set my world on fire. It's also safe to say that I would have purchased these games without either trailer existing. But I have to assume that there is more than one person, who like me, doesn't particularly care for shooters, but unlike me, doesn't feel compelled to buy every game that comes out, who probably did buy one or both of these games simply because they were seduced by excellent marketing.

The E3 trailer for Gears of War 2 has seduced me again:



An Alan Seeger poem?!? I'm still trying to get my head around this one. Maybe it started with a conversation somewhere about war poets; I can only speculate. But this trailer does exactly what the Mad World trailer did: imply that there is emotional depth and nuance where there is none. And damnit, that's exactly what a shooter trailer should do. Well done.

My next post is guaranteed not to be a, "stuff I like" post.

Thanks for reading.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger tzz said…

    The PoP trailer won E3 just for using Sigur Rós. I never thought I'd hear them in a game trailer, but they managed to make it fit perfectly.

    The bad part is it made the wait for November, when I'll see them live, much longer :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home